instagram

Friday, April 18, 2008

Retro Friday: Flame Throwin' Hit Radio 93 KKHR



In the mid-1980s, Hit Radio 93 KKHR made a run at KIIS-FM as a contemporary hit radio station. Here, Jack Armstrong -- who recently passed away -- handles his shift. Watch him as he manically tosses from song to song, jumps in with his fast-paced delivery (complete with his alter ego, Gorilla) and plays the hit music of 1984.



When I was a kid -- right around 1984, as a matter of fact, when I was 11 -- THIS is what I wanted to do when I grew up. So yeah, I didn't become a high energy top 40 jock , but I still love sitting behind a radio board -- hence the reason I do my KCSN show (coincidentally, the KCSN board is nearly identical to the KKHR one you see in this video).

KKHR lasted at 93.1 from 1983 to 1986; now, of course, the "Jack FM" format -- which airs without jocks all together -- is on 93.1 (with the calls KCBS-FM).

No comments: