instagram

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Local TV News Loves Its Puns



Back in college I spent one quarter as a copy editor at The Daily Northwestern... and being a goofball, I tried hard to push through the worst pun-filled headlines imaginable. I frequently succeeded.

And yes, I've been known to throw in a groaner or two on stories even now. But that's nothing compared to local TV news, where puns appear to be mandatory -- and the cheesier the better. Here are a few I noticed on just one newscast, last night's KABC/7 "Eyewitness News" telecast:

"Pain at the pump is driving motorists to financial misery."
--ABC7 anchor Marc Brown

"Motorists have had their fill of paying a fortune to fill up."
--ABC7 anchor Michelle Tuzee

"Is it better to be safe than salsa?"
-- ABC7 reporter Robert Holguin to an El Pollo Loco customer, on the tomato salmonella scare and how the chicken chain has removed tomato-based salsas.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that."
-- The El Pollo Loco customer

"And coming up, I do have some news on how gay weddings may help the local economy."
-- ABC7 reporter Wendy Burch, in front of a bridal shop (Really? Was "I do" necessary?)

No comments: