instagram

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Rate-A-Restaurant #313: Lamberts Downtown Barbecue (Austin)

Austin

Restaurant: Lamberts Downtown Barbecue

Austin

Location: 401 West 2nd Street (Austin, Texas)

Type of restaurant: BBQ

Austin

We stipulated: In Austin for SXSW, and my colleague Rob and I had just finished watching a screening of AMC's new drama "Halt and Catch Fire." We wanted lunch -- but in Austin, you have to choose wisely. We did NOT want to have a bad meal. We ran into Jim from AMC, and together, the three of us set out for some Lamberts.

They stipulated: It's SXSW. You can't just walk into a hot spot like Lamberts and expect a table. With no reservation, we set our sights on the bar, which is first come/first served. Patience paid off, and we got a great spot. It was time to order.

Austin

What we ordered: Sliced beef brisket sandwich ($12); comes with fries. Also: deviled eggs as an appetizer ($9).

Austin

High point:  Oh man. That sandwich. Jim proclaimed it one of his Top Five Sandwiches of All Time. I wish I had the kind of memory to agree (I do know my No. 1: Bake Sale Betty's fried chicken sandwich in Oakland), but I gotta believe that's the case. Such tender meat. Such delicious sauces. Such a great experience.

Low point: Can't really think of one. I guess I'd argue we didn't need the deviled eggs. Just more sandwich, please!

Austin

Overall impression: This was my first real meal in Austin, and the one to which all others would be compared. It was a great way to kick things off. Whatta sandwich.

Austin

Will we return: Next time I'm in Austin, you better believe it!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

So you are saying I should try this sandwich next week...