instagram

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

La Cañada Teepee Hike: Slightly Challenging, But a Great Reward

 


High above La Cañada, the 2.7 mile Teepee trail is a moderate hike, but still steep in places. I didn't quite do the homework beforehand, so the kids in particular were not happy with the difficulty level. I powered through and made it to the top, which afforded amazing views, a teepee and a rock garden, but the boys and Maria decided to stay a bit below. The final stage was perhaps the most sweat-inducing, but the reward was cool.

I'd advise hiking boots and a hiking stick as well. I found some makeshift sticks that I could use as a walking stick, but it wasn't ideal. Nonetheless, the views were. I saw a father and his kids bring a picnic up and eat inside the teepee.




Also cool: This rock garden, found at the top, nearby.

Also nearby: Bees!

It was overcast the day we hiked, which allowed for great temperatures — but some limited views.

Not seen here, but midway up the mountain is a spot with picnic tables where you can take a break. To find the trailhead, type 5399-5373 Harter Ln, La Cañada Flintridge, Calif. 91011 into your map app.





No comments: