Sunday, August 29, 2021
LA Press Club Reveals SoCal Journalism Awards Nominations; Here Are My Three
The LA Press Club's SoCal Journalism Awards nominations are out, and I have three nods in the mix! Here are the categories, which include some of my own Variety colleagues as well!
G8. PERSONALITY PROFILE, Film/TV Personalities
* Seth Abramovitch, The Hollywood Reporter, "Pee-wee Herman’s “Dark” Reboot: Paul Reubens Is Ready to Stage a Comeback"
* Antonia Blyth, Deadline Hollywood, "Kathy Bates On ‘Richard Jewell’ Controversy: 'I Worried It Would Affect How People Would Feel Toward The Film'"
* Daniel D'Addario, Variety, "‘Pose’ Star Indya Moore Reflects on Activism and the Road Ahead"
* Angelique Jackson, Variety, "Man of Action: Tyler Perry on Producing During the Pandemic and Why He’s Weighing in on Politics"
* Michael Schneider, Variety, "Andre Braugher Reexamines His Cop Roles and Urges ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ to Rise to the Moment"
K3A. ENTERTAINMENT NEWS, Broadcast/Film
* Tim Chan, Rolling Stone, "Corey Feldman Names Alleged Abusers in Long-Awaited Film"
* Chris O'Falt, IndieWire, "The Unbridgeable Divide: How True/False’s Celebrated Partnership With an Evangelical Church Imploded"
* Michael Schneider, Variety, "Radio Stations Make Early Flip to All-Christmas Music, Seeking Holiday — and Ratings — Cheer"
* Brian Steinberg, Variety, "Night Shift: Inside Late-Night TV’s Coronavirus Chaos"
* Beatrice Verhoeven and Sharon Waxman, TheWrap, "Hollywood Shuns Jamal Khashoggi Doc ‘The Dissident’ Over Fear of Saudi Backlash, Insiders Say"
K3B. ENTERTAINMENT NEWS, Music/Performing Arts
* Steve Appleford, Los Angeles Times, "Who created Nirvana’s famed smiley-face logo? A legal battle gets a new claimant"
* Jem Aswad, Variety, "How Kamala Harris Built a Power Base in the Music Industry"
* Joel Beers, Voice of OC, "Stages Theatre, a Mainstay for 28 Years on the Local Theater Scene, Closes Its Doors"
* Shirley Halperin and Leena Tailor, Variety, "Jason Derulo Sparks Outrage Down Under for Lifting Polynesian Teen’s TikTok Hit"
* Michael Schneider, Variety, "The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne Hopes to Tour – With the Audience in Plastic Bubbles"
Here's where you can read those three stories: Andre Braugher Reexamines His Cop Roles and Urges ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ to Rise to the Moment
Radio Stations Make Early Flip to All-Christmas Music, Seeking Holiday — and Ratings — Cheer
"The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne Hopes to Tour – With the Audience in Plastic Bubbles