instagram

Monday, February 23, 2004

Lunch at the Morgue

More from the Philippines:
Driving around the old Clark Air Base (see below), we stopped for lunch at a restaurant called the Four Seasons.

Now, back before Mt. Pinatubo erupted and Clark Air Base shut down for good in 1991, the base's home and garden store was called the "Four Seasons."

So I, of course, assumed that the restaurant was on the site of the old home and garden store. "How cool they kept the name," I told everyone.

Later, recounting the trip to Clark over the phone with my dad, I told him about the Four Seasons restaurant -- and how it was on the site of the old Four Seasons store.

He went online and found a map of the Clark Special Economic Zone -- as the old Air Force Base is known and operated today -- and compared it to a map of Clark back when it was still a U.S. base.

"Uh, Mike," he told me (as he mentions below in a comment to one of our recent posts), "That wasn't the old Four Seasons store.

"It was the morgue. You ate at the old Clark Air Base morgue."

Yum. I guess they put the morgue's old freezers to good use.

No comments: