instagram

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Who Wants To Name Our Baby? : The Blogality Show

The reaction to our list of Top Ten name finalists was fierce... and we're not just talking about the comments to our post below. The emails and votes to the nameourbaby@hotmail.com address were even more passionate -- and perhaps, in some cases, somewhat harsh.

But that's good -- I'm glad you're all taking the awesome power you have in naming our kid to heart. Paul, for example, came up with a good reason not to name our boy "Colin" (or "Quinn," for that matter):

I don't care how hot Colin Farrell may be today, but in the 6th grade, your boy Colin becomes "Colon" the minute those little bastards learn what that means, and he'll be "Ass" for the remainder of his school days. You guys may have to transfer him to a new district to get away from all of the taunting. Kids are so cruel.

and Quinn? That's just torture...in the 3rd grade when he learns how to write cursive, he'll discover that the capital Q is one of the most difficult letters to write. And he'll be saddled with that for his signature for the rest of his life. Also, the capital cursive Q looks kinda like the capital cursive L, and he'll be plagued by people asking him if his name is "Linn" based on seeing his signature? And no boy wants to be named "Lynn."

Now, I'm used to people ignoring my advice, but if you do choose to ignore it, please do NOT name him Colin Quinn Schneider. I don't even have to go into the details of why for that one.


Thanks, Paul. Here are some other recent comments:

get rid of Colin. I like the name, but think that five years from now, there are gonna be a lot of Colin's at kindergarten.
but then, I've never named a baby, so take this with a grain of salt.

****

Quinn's too fey

****

I'M AFRICAN-AMERICAN, YOU'RE PROBABLY IRISH, BELIEVE ME, NO MORE DYLANS AFTER THE POET, OR RYANS OR AUSTINS AND ANDERSON SOUNDS TOO FORMAL. JACKSON IS SO 1999 SO DON'T BE TYPICAL.

We're not Irish -- especially Maria -- but we somehow got caught up in all these Celtic names. Not sure why, maybe we were listening to too much U2. "The Edge Schneider" just missed the list.

****

Least favorite: Jackson, mostly just because having the combo of Michael and Jackson in the same name seems like a fairly cruel thing to do to the poor kid. The kids at school will call him Blanket.

Very good point! Can't believe we didn't catch the "Jackson Michael" connotation. Talk about sentencing the kid to a life of mock.

****

Just say no to "Quinn." Because Kevin Smith named his daughter "Harley Quinn" and I've hated him ever since. And, perhaps not coincidentally, his movies have sucked since he did that.

****

Get rid of Austin.... too Texan sounding.

****

Just say no Colin. You watch the Amazing Race, I know, so 'nuff said. No to Colin.

The other reason to avoid "Colin." I'm sure many of you were screaming at the TV this week, like us, when the Philiminator told Colin and Christie that this was another non-elimination round. That's completely bogus. "Team Domestic Violence," as we call them, needs to be stopped!

****

I vote to eliminate Quinn. It's a nice name, but it doesn't go with Schneider. Quinn Schneider sounds like someone convicted of embezzlement. "In other news, Quinn Schneider began his eleven-year sentence today for embezzling more than $10 million from the River Oaks Savings and Loan."

****

Hi, I have to tell you, the best name is Quinn! I named my son Quinn. he's five now and just started kindergarten. It's the greatest name. All the others on your list are nice enough but swing a dead chicken at any pre-school or kindergarten from main to Mauna Loa and you'll find a Jackson, Ryan or Alexander. No Quinns. its very unique and hasn't gotten destroyed, yet. I am so glad you guys have it has your one of your top ten. I don't know you but I feel a special bond (sniff, sniff). I think you know what the right thing to do is. :) God bless and here's hoping whatever his name is, you have a healthy boy. Sounds like he'll get lots of love. Quinn is gaelic for `Wise'. good luck.

****

JACKSON. ugh. if i meet another child name Jackson i'll lose it. It was great 5 years ago. overplayed now.

****
Glad to see my suggestion made the cut (Jackson). In that spirit, my LEAST favorite has to be Quinn (too "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" for me). Runner up is Dylan (I have thoughts of Luke Perry dancing in my head when I hear it).

****


Be sure to tune in Monday, when we reveal which name has been eliminated -- and because this is a "blog reality show," we've got a few twists in store for ya!

No comments: