instagram

Monday, September 26, 2005

A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays

When you're toting around a nine-month old, it's a feat to get anything accomplished -- which is why we're still in awe over our busy Saturday.

It began with a quick trip to the chiropractor... my first-ever experience. I've had back pain in the past, but it's been flaring up again (mostly because of carrying Blogger Baby) -- so Maria introduced me to her Burbank-based chiropractor. Nice guy, and he made my back crack in ways I've never heard (this is good?). Ultimately, I didn't feel much different... but on the bright side, I woke up Sunday morning without an excrutiating pain in my back for the first time in days.

After that, a quick stop at Burbank's Bearly Used (1136 N. Hollywood Way), which specializes in second-hand baby gear -- furniture, toys, car seats, etc. Things can be cheap, but I wasn't too impressed with the selection -- I'd tread carefully. Twerps Childrens Resale & Retail in Eagle Rock (on Eagle Rock Blvd.) has a better selection of toys and books.

Since we were in Burbank... of course we had to stop at Chili John's.



It was an overcast day, perfect for some warm, greasy chili... yet there were plenty of open seats at the counter when we hit the restaurant around noon. Maria ordered the beef chili with spaghetti, while I wussed out and got the chicken chili. We both got our bowls medium spicy, with a whollop of sour cream.


Chili John's beef chili, with spaghetti


Chicken chili, also with spaghetti

We could debate for hours where to find the best chili in Southern California. Encino's Chili My Soul could make a strong case... and so could Chili John's. By the way, I'm gonna get the beef chili next time. (And simply drain the grease.) The chicken chili is good... but holy crap, is that beef chili a bowl of nirvana.

We then headed to Hollywood's Amoeba Records, where our friend Shawn Amos was doing a in-store performance to promote his new CD, "Thank You, Shirl-ee May."



Shawn was excellent, and pulled out all the stops -- even bringing a 15-member choir on stage to sing backup on his final song. A guy standing next to me asked if I knew the name of the guy on stage.

I played it cool: "Oh, yeah, That's Shawn Amos. He's good."
The guy: "Yeah, he is... have you seen him before?"
Me: "Yup. You should go get his CD."

And you should too.

Saturday wasn't over -- quick stops at The Coffee Bean (use up your pink cards, people!), St. Casimir's church in Los Feliz (where Evan's goal is ambitious: Crumple every donation envelope in the church's pews by the end of the year) and Trader Joe's (pick of the week: Black Bean Jalapeno chips). When it was all said and done, Blogger Baby was still a bundle of energy... but his parents were pooped.

No comments: