instagram

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Season's Flavors

Now that the mint-flavored chocolates have been put back in hibernation, the pumpkin spice beverages have been shelved and the gingerbread-flavored whatevers are in the discount bin, it's time to move on from holiday flavors (which are always my fave) and check out some new products making the rounds:


Starbucks' Cinnamon Dolce Latte
Cinnamon is one of my holy trinity of flavors -- along with pumpkin and mint. You can do no wrong with it. Cinnamon ice cream? I'm in. Cookies? Yes.

And who doesn't love Dolce? Ashton Kutcher has put together a mighty fine restaurant. (Disclaimer: The drink has no relation to Ashton Kutcher's mighty fine restaurant.)

As far as flavored Starbucks lattes go, the Cinnamon Dolce is a keeper. My complaint with Starbucks lattes is the flavor is never strong enough (especially compared to the powder-based Coffee Bean drinks). And this is no exception -- I could use a little more cinnamon, not to mention a little more dolce. But boasting a smooth buttery taste, it goes down easy and immediately becomes my Starbucks pick (at least, until the Pumpkin Spice returns).

+++

Trader Joe's Papadums snack (Yogurt and Dill flavor)

Maria and I devoured these Indian snacks in two settings. Trader Joe's continues to find new ways to make us love them more. At $2.99, they're a little on the pricey side, but oh so worth it. There's also a Tandoori flavor we'll be trying next. But check out the Yogurt/Dill snack first. And thank us later.

+++

Black Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke

The flavored diet sodas fool you. At first taste, they're absolutely fantastic. Finally, you think to yourself, a delicious diet soda! With no after taste!

Then you take another sip. OK, so maybe there's still that aspartame (or Splenda) aftertaste.

A day later, you drink another class. Hmm, I guess it's OK. But I'm not even sure what I'm drinking anymore.

As a diet soda, Black Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke is passable. But so was Vanilla Diet Coke (which has been discontinued). But ultimately, it's not going to bring me back to diet soda or soda in general, which I've been trying really hard to limit.

Coke also has launched a regular Black Cherry Vanilla version, which I haven't yet tasted.

No comments: