instagram

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Rate-A-Restaurant, #155 in a series


(All Flickr pics here by Tales of an LA Addict.)

Restaurant: Wood Spoon

Location: 107 W 9th St (at Spring St)

Type of restaurant: Brazilian



We stipulated: A nice and warm place to sit and have some good food in the middle of downtown L.A.



What we ordered: Cup of Lentil Soup ($4), Pastel Portuguese (above; Dumpling stuffed with shrimp, coconut sauce -- $7), Calabreza Salad for my friend Andrea (Hearts of palm, black olives, hard-boiled egg, calabreza sausage $9)

High point: The tall pitcher of ice water with cinammon sticks that was quickly placed on the table moments after we sat down (some other diners had citrus fruits in their pitchers) and the urban ambiance of the place. The lentil soup was delicious and filling.

Low point: I asked the waitress twice if I could take home a copy of their menu and she said yes both times but never brought it over. As we were leaving, the same waitress saw me go up to the desk and grab one and as I was about to fold it away, she asked me to put it back and said she photocopied one for me. Okay, then why didn't she just give it to me in the first place? And why did she watch me take a menu then reprimand me for taking one? That incident made me feel weird.



Overall impression: Love the simple decor. The soup was touch notch, the pastel portuguese was a little too rich-- it may need some lemon to cut through the richness. Andrea thinks that the salad may need some citrus as well but to me, there was nothing spectacular about that dish. I wish I read the review posted in their bathroom and ordered the steak sandwich or the pork burger.

Chance we will go back: There are so many new places to try out in downtown L.A. but I wouldn't mind going back to this place again or recommending it to friends.

(For more than 150 restaurant reviews, visit Franklin Avenue's companion Rate-A-Restaurant site.)

No comments: