instagram

Monday, January 19, 2015

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2014, Part 1

thumpersRACTENNIS-MEAN-STREETSPolica Chain My Name

In no particular order, I've selected the favorite tracks from 2014's playlists for our thirteenth annual Choice Cuts end-of-year mix. I'm revealing them throughout the week. The first four:



1. Unkinder (A Tougher Love) -- Thumpers

Childhood friends Marcus Pepperell and John Hamson Jr. make up the British indie pop duo Thumpers, which released their album "Galore" in the U.S. last year via Sub Pop. I thought the classic pop sound of this track was an upbeat way to kick off this year's mix.



2. Let Go -- RAC (feat. Kele & MNDR)

André Allen Anjos, also known as the Remix Artist Collective, or RAC, partnered with Bloc Party's Kele and MNDR on this track, which comes from their EP "Don't Talk To."



3. Mean Streets -- Tennis

It was a good year for Tennis, the husband and wife band that hails from Denver. I also considered the Tennis song "I'm Callin'" for the mix until settling on "Mean Streets," which comes from their EP "Small Sound."



4. Chain My Name -- Poliça

The synthpop band from Minneapolis came up with what may have been my favorite track of 2014. There's something really memorable about this track -- the distorted sounds, perhaps? While not a hit in the U.S., this song was popular in Belgium.

Stay tuned for the next four tomorrrow!

No comments: