instagram

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2014, Part 2

Boy Little NumberslunaalvvaysKendrick-Lamar-i

In no particular order, I've selected the favorite tracks from 2014's playlists for our thirteenth annual Choice Cuts end-of-year mix. I'm revealing them throughout the week. The next four:

5. Little Numbers -- Boy

This song, from the Swiss/German pop duo Boy, was actually a hit in Europe a few years ago, and even a part of a Lufthansa Airlines commercial. Boy's first album was released in the U.S. in 2013, but I only came across "Little Numbers" last year. It almost didn't make this year's cut, but I can't resist the chorus.



6. Luna -- Bombay Bicycle Club

I've included several Bombay Bicycle Club songs on regular playlists over the years, but "Luna" may be one of my favorites from this English indie rock band.



7. Archie, Marry Me -- Alvvays

Pronounced "Always," the Canadian duo consists of Molly Rankin and Kerri MacLellan. Yes, perhaps there's something a bit precious about this song, but it's also extremely catchy.



8. i -- Kendrick Lamar

I've been pretty frustrated that the "Saturday Night Live" performance of "i" by Kendrick Lamar isn't available for download. The SNL version was more raw and contemporary... I don't mind the original, but there was so much more urgency with the SNL performance. You be the judge: above is the original version, and below is the version from SNL.



Stay tuned for the next four tomorrrow!

No comments: