instagram

Thursday, August 7, 2003

Tonight at 11... Actual News!
Sacramento Bee political columnist Daniel Weintraub has been at the forefront of covering the California governor recall circus, which he writes today may actually be a good thing for civic discourse: "More people will be talking and thinking about California politics and government than ever before," he notes.

I actually agree -- These last few days I've found myself talking politics with people I normally never talk politics with. And last night, watching KCBS, KNBC and KABC's newscasts, I was heartened to see that they LED their programs with Arnold's announcement and other recall news.

Considering Kobe Bryant was arraigned that day, that's nothing short of a miracle. I saw reporters actually talking politics on the local newscasts! Wow! (Yeah, it took a celebrity -- Schwarzenegger -- to make it happen, but still...) Quite a change for these car chase, crime-obsessed local news operations.

No comments: